Thursday, August 6, 2026

Pineapple Upside Down Cake or Pineapple Downside Up Cake

Pineapple Upside Down Cake or Pineapple Downside Up Cake

from the Betty Crocker Cookbook 1978 edition
  • 1/4 c butter or margarine
  • 1/2 c packed brown sugar
  • 1 8.25 oz can pineapple rings, drained, juice reserved
  • maraschino cherries (about 7)
  • 6 pecan halves (I did not use)

Melt butter in pan, sprinkle with brown sugar, lay pineapple rings or pieces and maraschino cherries, and pecans if using. Top with Dinette cake batter. Bake about 45 mins at 350 degrees, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cool completely. My addition to the recipe: Top with a glaze made up of confectioner sugar, some pineapple juice and vanilla. I did not flip over. I cooked in a 9" square pan, and I used more cherries than called for. 

Dinette Cake Batter
Beat all ingredients on low speed 30 seconds, and high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl as you go.
  • 1 1/4 c all purpose flour or 1 1/2 c cake flour
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 3/4 c milk
  • 1/3 c shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla
This was great. Would definitely make again. 

No comments: